First, I want to say thank you to everyone who shared their tips and tricks (from my last post) on how to dye polyester fabric. I incorporated some of them when I re-dyed the dress and…more on that later.
When thrifting for shoes, I tend to be really picky. For the most part, shoes are the one item you own that will get the most wear.
As soon as I saw these platform goodies at Goodwill, I knew I had to have them. They took me back to my teenage angst years. Unfortunately, after only wearing them once, the material on them started to crumble, leaving them like this:
I was not about to give up on them. I thought about covering them with fabric but from the tutorials I saw, it looked a bit tricky. After my last DIY, I needed instant gratification. I did another quick search and saw you could buy vinyl paint to repair pleather fabric. Not wanting to spend anything, I decided to get a bit creative. I still had some black dye leftover from last time but I needed a way to make sure the stain would stay on.
A couple of weeks ago I bought a solid wood coffee table (from Goodwill – only $8!). The table was too light for my taste so I took my sander to it and stained it a darker color.
I applied the same tactic and sanded my shoes. That’s right, I took sandpaper to my shoes. I focused on the parts where it was starting to crack. Surprisingly, the material came off pretty easy.
After wiping the excess of the shoes, I applied the dye by using a sponge paintbrush.
I’m digging the distressed look!
I did a little test run and paired them with…
THE DRESS!! (Smirk and photo courtesy of my son)
Jacket, dress, and shoes – all thrifted!
As I mentioned above, I used some of the techniques suggested by you lovely readers.
I found some dye specific for polyester fabric. The dye was very easy to find – it was right above the other dye I usually get. I should be ashamed. Sometimes you just gotta look up. First, I soaked the dress in rubbing alcohol. While the dress was soaking, I started a dye pot on the stove. I added the dye first, then the dress. Then I let it boil for 30 minutes. So simple!