I have been thrifting for a very very long time. Sometimes, I wish I could transform every piece of furniture and resell it and make enough money to live in New York. Unfortunately, that is not the case, but I can share a few quick steps to completely transform a chair that cost less than a cup of coffee.
I always search for a wooden chair with a removable seat when thrifting for a piece I can transform. This gives me the opportunity to get creative and change the color of the wood and even add a playful fabric to the seat if I want.
There’s no specific day of the week or magic time of day to find the “best” chairs at Goodwill. What I can say is the more often you thrift, the better your chances. I would also recommend spending a day visiting as many Goodwill stores as you can, this will give you a chance to see which locations have a better furniture selection.
When it comes to a basic quick fix, I always grab a can of my favorite inexpensive spray paint and cover the entire chair. I can immediately see a huge difference.
Honestly, it’s so easy to dramatically change a cheap piece from Goodwill with a can of paint.
So, let’s look at 5 tips to transform a chair for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.
1. Scout out the best Goodwill in your area with a good selection of furniture.
* A nice selection will give you options and allow you to choose which style fits your style.
2. Find a chair(s) made of wood.
* Wooden chairs are easy to refinish and can fit into any decor style.
* Wooden chairs with arms can be used in the living room and armless chairs can be used at the dining table.
3. Go for removable seats.
* No upholstery skills are needed to complete this step. All you need is your favorite fabric and a staple gun.
4. Fabric for the finish.
* Visit the textile area of Goodwill and snag a curtain to redo the seat of your chair. Curtains have enough fabric to do multiple chairs.
* With all of the money you just saved by skipping the fancy department stores and redoing a chair yourself, you can actually enjoy your new piece! Perhaps while sipping a cup of coffee!
No matter how big or small your budget, you can always stop by your favorite Goodwill store to add extra seating to your place. If you search long enough, you may even find a chair for $2 or $3!
Before you go, take a look at these thrifted arm chairs (only $5 each) that I transformed for a client!
Do you have a chair you recently refinished? I’d love to see it!