Happy New Year Everyone! The New Year is like a big ole Monday hug; you get to start off with a fresh perspective and outlook on life and of course more thrifting!
I write down and organize a lot of things in the New Year. Last year, it was finding as many gold flatware pieces for my holiday dinners as I could. I was fortunate to find 2 sets at Goodwill at a great price. It took a little time, but I was patient and it certainly paid off.
Here’s a list of 5 things to start collecting at the beginning of the year from Goodwill, that will pay off throughout the year:
If you did not get a chance to host a holiday dinner for your family because you didn’t have enough real forks and knives, you can start fresh with scouring Goodwill to get exactly what you want. Flatware at retail prices can be very very expensive, but if you love an eclectic look of heirloom flatware you can really start building your collection at the beginning of the year.
If you have a specific style you are looking for that’s great. This will keep you on track to look for certain pieces and not just pick up anything. Be mindful that you may not find the perfect set, but with a little creativity and a few pennies, you can curate an amazing collection that can be used for many occasions and for many years to come. If you have a particular style of flatware that you are looking for, you can begin searching through stores now and collect as you see them throughout the year. Hopefully by the time Christmas comes, you’ll have a complete “Miss Mas” — great for those who love an eclectic look.
If you have ever hosted or attended a large holiday dinner, you already know seating can be the number one issue. You can beat the craziness of the holidays by searching for the perfect set all year or mixing up your favorite styles and put at the table. If you don’t regularly host large sit down dinners throughout the year or if you have limited storage, here are two things to consider.
1. You can look for folding chairs and keep them in a closet or hang them on the wall until you need them.
- TIP: Paint folding chairs to match your home decor or to match the theme of your party!
2. You can buy multiple chairs and use them throughout your home. If you have a set of 10 chairs, consider a few at your dining table, one at your desk, perhaps another in your bathroom or vanity and maybe a few in the living room. By starting now at the beginning of the year, you can eliminate the stress of renting of trying to find chairs for your next party or during the holidays.
3. BRAND NEW GIFTS
I have a gift closet (sure sign I am not in college anymore). I have a rather large family and a host of friends and for some unknown reason they have a birthday every year, go figure (Im joking), so I am always mailing and giving gifts. I come in contact with a number of people in my line of work.
Many times I am invited to private dinner parties or events and I use my gift closet to grab a scented candle or a curated gift to bring. Goodwill is an excellent way to keep a gift closet stocked. You can find tissue paper, cards and a lot of brand new items at an amazing price.
- TIP: Keep a running list of gift ideas for specific people in your phone so when you are out, you can easily refer your list and to see if anything in Goodwill matches anything on your list.
There is a box in my laundry room full of fabric remnants. Pillows can be expensive if you are switching them out seasonally and if you need a lot of them. Starting a collection of fabric remnants at the beginning of the year to use to make pillows, table cloths or even frames will save you the hassle of looking for the perfect pillow.
5. PILLOW INSERTS.
I am in the process of redecorating my apartment and I went out to pick up pillow inserts. When I went to the store, the pillow inserts were $28.99, with all of the discounts and sale promotions the ended up totaling around $17 each. Late last year I stumbled upon 3 large pillows for $5.99 each. I bought them, stored them and used them inside of the new pillows from my sofa. Essentially I was able to create 3 pillows for the sale price of one pillow at a retail store, even on sale!
- TIP: Always wash your pillow inserts to ensure they are clean and sanitary for you and your loved ones. There are a host of tutorials online on how to wash pillow inserts.
Well there you have it, five things to look for at Goodwill that can serve you all year long. Whether you are hosting a large dinner, giving gifts or sprucing up your place go ahead and start creating your reserve so when the time comes, you will be ready for anything!