August 18, 2016

Putting a Cork on Clutter

School is a distant memory for me, but the urge to reorganize my life hits me every year when kids start having to get back on the school bus. And it’s hit extra hard this year, I feel like my life is in total disarray lately. Which, being Type A, makes me want to do whatever I can to control it. And I can totally control making my home feel clean-ish and in order-ish.

When I recently decided to go on a minimizing spree, a jar of wine corks that I’d been saving for several years caught my eye.

“I bet I can turn these into something besides another dust catcher,” I thought.

I counted them to the tune of 76 corks and realized that I had a lot of corks, and also a bunch of wine-guzzling friends.

Door décor has been on my mind recently too, as I have been trying to come up with a cute replacement for the rose wreath I had on my door the other weekend to greet guests at a bridal shower I was hosting. My door has looked a little lonely without something there, so making a cork wreath seemed like a great solution.

But after laying the corks out, I realized that my wreath would look pretty sad with only 76 corks. It seems like a lot when they are piling up in a jar, but when they need to function in 3D, they aren’t so big after all. My eye fell on an oversized metal B that sits on a shelf in my kitchen, and it seemed like the perfect shape and size to recreate in cork form.

I took the B down and laid it on the table to arrange the corks and see if 76 would be enough to cover the surface. With a little noodling, the form started to take shape! I was in business. But I really wasn’t in the mood to spend any money on this project at all (a disarray life requires more funds) so I turned to the recycling bin to see what I could use as a backing for this cork.

FullSizeRender (5)

Hello, beer box! You’ll do just fine, let me cut you in half.

I traced my metal letter onto the cardboard and cut it out carefully. Working again with the corks to arrange them back onto the cardboard version, I ended up with a much better pattern, and slowly began the painstaking process of lifting a few off, hot gluing them back down, and repeating a few dozen more times.

FullSizeRender (6)[1]

After it dried, a little ribbon is all that this letter needed to cute my door up, clear the dust-catchers off of my shelves and make me feel a little more in control.

goodwill1

FullSizeRender (8)

Comments are closed.